The 41st Montgomery Art Guild Museum Exhibition roster has been
selected by the 2015 juror—Tom Butler.
The juror has made final determinations regarding the selection of exhibitors for this year's MAG/MMFA exhibition. Notifications have been sent to all entrants.
As usual, the competition was stiff. The response to the Call for Entries was similar to the last Art Guild Museum show in 2013. According to Michael Panhorst, Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Curator of Art, the juror selected 97 artworks by 73 artists from 439 entries by 127 artists. Fewer than one in four artworks were selected, and only 57% of entrants had art accepted for the show. However, 38 entrants applied for the first time and 26 of those were selected.
Butler recently retired after twenty years as director of the Columbus Museum. During his career he has organized more than a hundred exhibitions and authored or edited numerous catalogs and brochures, including William Beckman, Drawings 1967-2013, American Art in the Columbus Museum, and Lines of Discovery: 225 Years of American Drawing. He is an Emeritus Member of the Association of Art Museum Directors, and a past president of the Southeastern Museums Conference, which selected him for the James R. Short Award for Distinguished Lifetime Professional Career in Museums in 2010.
All artists, patrons and guests are welcome to attend the Reception and Awards Presentation on June 12, 5:30–7:30PM.
More than $20,000 in awards will be presented thanks to the following:
• THE MMFA DIRECTOR'S AWARD, $2500
which is made possible by Margaret Berry Lowder, MMFA President, 2002-2004
• TWELVE $1000 AWARDS
• Foy Gilmore Goodwyn Memorial Fund Award donated by The Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts
• Kelly Fitzpatrick Award donated by Tranum and Martha Fitzpatrick
• Halvorson Award donated by Dr. Melanie Halvorson
• Nobel Seay Jones Award donated by Renis Jones
• Thornton and Pat Clark Award donated by Dr. Donald R. Sohn
• Doster Award donated by Charles and Juliette Persons Doster
• Jimmie Sabel Award donated by Katherine Sabel Gayden and Keith Sabel
• Edward L. Robbins Award donated by Chrys Robbins
• Chuck Whitehead Award for Figurative or Portrait Art donated by Marguerite Whitehead Edwards
• Vivian Butler Scott Award donated by Jim Scott
• AUM College of Arts and Sciences Award donated by Auburn University Montgomery
• Moore Wealth Management Award donated by Susan Mo